The UNCTAD’s Deputy Secretary-General, Mme Isabelle Durant, will Chair this expert meeting on Voluntary Sustainability Standards (VSS) on Wednesday 27 September at the Palais des Nations Room XXV in Geneva.
The key questions that will be discussed during the meeting are:
- How effective have VSS been for sustained, inclusive and sustainable trade?
- What type of global partnership can help improve VSS’ effectiveness on inclusive and sustainable trade growth?
- What is the role of a national regulatory framework on VSS?
- What are key lessons from the formation of national multi-stakeholder platforms on VSS so far?
- Is there a need for global governance on VSS?
UNCTAD’s Deputy Secretary-General, Mme. Isabelle Durant
|Wednesday 27th September 2017|
|13:30 – 14:45||Registration|
|14:45 – 16:00||VSS and trade-led sustainable growth: Do we need global governance? |
· How do we balance “gains” from VSS across different stakeholders?
· How can trade policy tackle VSS influence on developing countries’ market access?
· When and in which areas global governance on VSS is needed?
Chair: Isabelle Durant, Deputy Secretary-General of UNCTAD
Harsha Vardhana Singh, Brookings India
Patrick Mallet, ISEAL Alliance
Bernard Hoekman, European University Institute
Noel Kalo, Department of Industry, Vanuatu
Andrea Barrios Villareal, México
Kali Taylor, SDG Lab
Aimée Hampel-Milagrosa, Asian Development Bank
Mika Vepsalainen, UNECE
|16:00 – 16:15||Coffee break|
|16:15 – 17:30||Multi-Stakeholder Approach at the National Level |
· Case study on the national multi-stakeholder VSS platforms of China, India and Brazil
· What is the role of a national regulatory framework on VSS?
· How do we assess various stakeholders’ interests and concerns on VSS?
· Can governments use national platform on VSS to implement policies on sustainable development?
Moderator: Thomas Fues, Director, MGG, German Development Institute (DIE)
Rogerio Correa, National Institute of Metrology, Quality and Technology Brazil
Zhang Xiuchun, China Association for Standardization
Sofia Pacheco, Dirección Nacional de Normas, México
Manish Pande, Quality Council of India
Aderina Uli Panggabean, National Standardization Agency Indonesia
Matlhale Peter, South Africa Bureau of Standards
Discussants: UNFSS Members: FAO, ITC, UNCTAD, UN Environment, UNIDO
|17:30 – 18:00||Concluding remarks by Bonapas Onguglo, Trade Analysis Branch, UNCTAD|
This meeting is supported by the United Nations Forum on Sustainable Standards (UNFSS) and the German Development Institute (DIE).